Are you feeling creative? Why don't you give this galaxy-themed porridge a go? It's oat-of-this-world. Promise.
I posted an image of this to Instagram a while ago and it got such a reaction I decided to write up a recipe for you guys. It was kind of in homage to one of my inspirations, @SoBeautifullyReal. Take a look at her stunning account if you wish.
I'm not gonna waffle on about it because everything to know is right before your eyes. But I find making this kind of thing - something so simple into something rather beautiful - particularly soothing. Make it to impress a friend or just to add some variation to your ordinary breakfast.
A word on the purple stuff in the photograph. That was some leftover smoothie I had from my smoothie bowl recipe so I didn't include it in the ingredients below. However, to add some colour like this, you could simply add some smashed up berries or some frozen berries that have been blended with a little liquid (e.g. soy milk).
|½ cup||jumbo oats|
|½ cup||soy milk (or any other plant-based milk)|
|2 tsp||black tahaini (which can be bought here [US]/[UK]*)|
|½ tsp||soya/coconut yoghurt|
|2 tsp||almond butter|
|1 tsp||sesame seeds|
|½ tsp||chia seeds|
- To make the banana stars, slice the banana into rounds. If you have one (I don't), use a small star shaped cookie cutter to make the stars. If you don't, use the smallest knife you have to carefully cut out 5 segments of the round to make a star shape. Set them aside.
- Put oats in a small saucepan and pour one cup of boiling water over them. Let sit for 3 minutes. This will make them extra creamy.
- Add the soy milk, and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 5 minutes, until a thick, creamy consistency is reached.
- Put the oats in a bowl. Before adding the tahini, make sure to stir it thoroughly, because it separates in the jar. Spoon the tahini onto one side of the oats.
- Dot the yoghurt on top of the tahini. Using a skewer or fork, swirl it through slowly, in a swirly or marbled pattern. Don't swirl too much as it will mix in and turn grey.
- Sprinkle on the sesame and chia seeds in lines, followed by the blueberries and banana stars. See note above if you're wondering about the purple stuff in the photograph.